The water colour painting above shows where the business began, on the dock way at Deganwy.
In 1921 the late Richard Williams bought the business, running it until he was well in to his nineties. He eventually sold out to Martin in 1971 after half a century of supplying building materials to the local population.
Martin was are manager for Marley Tiles in Greater Manchester when the business came up for sale and he took the decision to start working for himself.
Full History of Richard Williams
Originally owned by Joseph Parr & Co the firm operated from Deganwy Quay in 1917. Water & horse-power provided transport in those days, with cement delivered in bulk to the dock by boat & then transferred on to horse drawn carts for delivery to the depot on the quayside. In 1938 the late Richard Williams bought the business, and he was still at the helm when Martin Stewart bought the business in 1971. At this point the company was in need of some fresh impetus & hard work so began the Stewart family involvement with Richard Williams (Deganwy) Ltd that continues to the current day with Nigel who runs the Llandudno Junction Depot & Robert who runs the Ruthin Depot. In 1980 the Company moved from Deganwy Quay to the now Heavyside Yard on Conwy Road which until 1947 had been The Marl Hotel & then offices for the Central Electricity Generating Board.
In 1988 the company purchased A J Hughes & Son Ltd in Ruthin & then five years later purchased the former Bookers Cash & Carry site which is now the home for the Lightside & Timber Yard selling everything anyone may need in to aid their building & home improvement projects. Soon after this the Ruthin Depot was moved following the purchase of the Cambrian Waterworks’ from Greenhalls Brewery, this provided the Company with a site that was suitable to create a one stop shop for your builder & DIY enthusiast alike.
As we moved into the 21 st Century the Stewart family set about making sure the business was in shape to cope with the challenges of the current day. In 2004 the old hotel was demolished in the heavy side yard in Llandudno Junction to enable the construction of a new bag store for cements, plasters, external renders, hydraulic lime products etc. & to create a new yard area for customers to load & view the products they require safely. To further improve movement around all the depots a new warehouse was built in 2009 to hold the companies back up stock so that an even greater diversity of products could be made available to customers in our depots. All depots were then linked together following the installation of new software, provided by Merlin Business software.
Timeline of Richard Williams (Deganwy) Ltd
1917 J. Parr & Co operated from Deganwy Quay as a Builders Merchants
1921 Mr. Richard Williams purchased the company from J.Parr & Co
1938 Date of incorporation for Richard Williams (Deganwy) Ltd
1971 Martin Stewart purchased Richard Williams (Deganwy) Ltd
1980 Company moved from Deganwy Quay to site on the old Marl Hotel on Conwy Road, Llandudno Junction (the site of our current Heavy Side yard)
1988 Richard Williams purchased A&J Hughes & Son Ltd to create the Ruthin depot
1993 Opened new Lightside and Timber Yard, the former Bookers Cash & Carry site, which is now ‘Bron Heulog’, the company’s head office
1994 Ruthin depot moved to the old Cambrian waterworks, the current site of our Ruthin operation
2004 Demolition of the old Marl Hotel and redevelopment of the Heavy Side Yard, including an extension to the warehouse
2009 New warehouse facility constructed on Tremarl Industrial Estate